From time to time, I find myself invited to company dinners. It can really be a struggle to decide what to wear. You always want to find the right balance between looking professional and attractive. Here are a few tips to help you navigate the waters.
1. Play it safe. Company big-wigs tend to show up to dinners so unless you work for Glamour Magazine, conservative is almost always the way to go. No plunging necklines or mini dresses. It's important to look professional. If dressing conservatively has you up in arms, play with color, not hemlines!
2. Choose a dress over pants. Unlike my advice on job interviews, a dress works better in a dinner setting. Wearing a dress to a company dinner will make it look like you tried harder. A word of caution, choose a dress that you're comfortable in. Keep in mind that you're going to be drinking and eating.
3. Use accessories to show your style. If you feel like you need more oomph, you can use accessories to show your personality and style. An interesting necklace or stacked bracelets will look great as long as you keep it tasteful and age appropriate.
4. Upgrade the shoes. What I mean by this is don't wear your work sensible shoes. Wear nice, fashionable shoes. You won't be on your feet all night, so you can wear trendier shoes that normally wouldn't cut it all day at work.
5. Carry a classic clutch. Pull your look together with a classic clutch in a neutral tone. If you've chosen a colorful dress and jazzed up accessories, this clutch will pull your look together in a more classic way. If you're wearing black, you'll still dazzle. You really can't go wrong with a simple, classic clutch.
There you go, my tips on what to wear to a company dinner. I'd love to hear what you think!