29 hit me hard. Hard. The fact that it was my last 20s birthday did not go unnoticed. Trust.
While I still get a little sad thinking about it, I've had about a month to get used to the idea that I'll be 30 next year. And that's not all bad. I mean, I've had time to get comfortable in my own skin. Let me tell you, I'm much more comfortable at 29 than I was at 21. So if we're being 100% honest, I do not envy those 21 year olds that still live in naiveté.
Now I'm not claiming to have my shit completely together, but suffice it say that I've learned some things that make getting through life a lot easier on me than when I was in my early twenties. A hell of a lot easier.
1. Getting enough sleep is the key to looking great. If you only get 4 hours of sleep, everyone can tell. No amount of designer clothes in the world can hid it.
2. Size is just a number. It doesn't define you. Just go ahead and get over it.
3. Know when to put on the yoga pants. Nights at home with my husband beat nights out partying every single time. Period.
4. The higher the hair the closer to God. Go ahead and tease it up, baby!
5. Being more like your mother isn't really a bad thing. She's been through a lot and can help you along the way. Chances are, a lot of your beliefs about clothing and style came from her.
6. If shoes hurt your feet in the store, they will hurt your feet in real life. Except multiplied by 1000.
7. If you're going to be on your feet all day, change your shoes every couple of hours.
8. Just say NO to acrylic nails. Unless you're a mob wife, then work it, girl!
9. Never underestimate the power of a bra in the right size.
10. Lingerie is overrated. It always ends up on the floor, so you're better off saving your money and just going to bed naked.
11. Tanning beds are the devil. Spray tans are the only way to go.
12, If you're uncomfortable in a outfit before you leave home, you'll be uncomfortable in it after you leave home. It will literally ruin your day.
13. Be a girls' girl.
14. Dressing for your body type is crucial. If you have thunder thighs (like me), then those body con dresses aren't for you, honey.
15. If you know about a good sale, share the love.
16. Almost everyone has cellulite. There's no need to tear yourself up over it. And those who don't are probably not the kind of girls you want to be friends with anyway.
17. Dry shampoo is your friend. Washing your hair every day is so 2003.
18. Tell yourself the truth. Yes, you are too old be shopping at American Eagle.
19. J.Crew Factory is better than J.Crew.
20. Target will get your through your darkest days. When you're starting your career, i.e. you have no money, Target will be your BFF.
21. That being said, you get what you pay for.
22. Don't believe the "last season" hype. Who cares if something if last season, wear it if you love it.
23. Trust your gut. If you don't love something in the store, you probably won't love it when you get home. Not sure what you'll wear something with? Well, that's probably because it doesn't go with anything you own. Your intuition about things will almost always lead you in the right direction.
24. Sign up for Kate Spade emails. Her sample sales are the best ever.
25. Buy a pair of Spanx. Do yourself a favor and get the ones with a slit in crotch. You'll thank me later.
26. Expensive hairspray usually isn't worth it. But, when you find a hairspray that is, buy that shit in bulk.
27. Wash your face before you go to bed. If it's the only thing you do, wash your f**king face!
28. Leggings are not pants.
29. Confidence is the best accessory. But, a Chanel bag never hurt anyone.